Translate this website:
old time poster that the rural electrification administration ran of a farm receiving power.

It was the year 1935 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed an executive order creating the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). A new way of life was made possible for millions of farm families all over the United States. With much determination, communication, cooperation, and organization, rural electric systems began to form. Among the nearly one thousand RECs that came into existence were Sioux Electric Cooperative Association, O'Brien County Rural Electric Cooperative, Plymouth Electric Cooperative Association, and Ida County Rural Electric Cooperative.
 
The efforts of the original incorporators of those cooperatives literally lit up the countryside. Many folks celebrated by burying their kerosene lanterns as they saw emancipation from a life of near-drudgery, marching up the road in the form of utility poles.
 
Today, most rural families enjoy the benefits of electricity, which has helped to make American agriculture the most productive in the world. To prepare for the ongoing changes in the electric utility industry, many RECs have merged or consolidated operations. In 1993, O'Brien County Rural Electric Cooperative and Sioux Electric Cooperative Association became North West Rural Electric Cooperative. Then, in January 1998, Ida County Rural Electric Cooperative and Plymouth Electric Cooperative Association joined North West Rural Electric Cooperative, forming the Cooperative as we know it today.
 
Our organization is larger, our operations have diversified, yet our task of providing reliable electric service for our member-owners remains. The job of rural electrification is never finished -- to keep the lights on!

picture of a small child in a barn with the REA logo on it.