After Hours Emergency Contact
If your lights go off after our offices have closed, please contact North West REC at our after hours contact number: 1.800.766.2099.
North West REC is dedicated to serving our members, and we will get your power back up and running as soon as we can!
Top Safety Tips for a Power Outage:
- Only use a flashlight for emergency lighting. Never use candles!
- Turn off electrical equipment you were using when the power went out.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer.
- Do not run a generator inside a home or garage.
- If you use a generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator. Do not connect a generator to a home's electrical system.
- Listen to local radio and television for updated information.
Preparing for a Power Outage
Assemble essential supplies, including:
- Portable radio
- At least one gallon of water
- A small supply of food.
- During an outage, due to the extreme risk of fire, do not use candles.
- If you use medication that requires refrigeration, most can be kept in a closed refrigerator for several hours without a problem. If unsure, check with your physician or pharmacist.
- Plan ahead and make sure your cell phone is charged and portable radios or other battery-operated essentials have working batteries.
- Keep computer files and operating systems backed up regularly.
- Consider buying extra batteries and a power converter if you use a laptop computer. A power converter allows most laptops (12 volts or less) to be operated from the cigarette lighter of a vehicle.
- Turn off all computers, monitors, printers, copiers, scanners and other devices when they're not being used, especially if you know a storm is coming. That way, if the power goes out, this equipment will have already been safely shut down.
- Get a high quality surge protector for all of your computer equipment.
- If you use the computer a lot, such as for a home business, consider purchasing and installing an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Consult with your local computer equipment dealer about available equipment and costs.